July 22, 2020
CITY OF HOSCHTON FINANCE DIRECTOR
JOB TITLE: FINANCE DIRECTOR
This is a full-time position responsible for the overall directing of the Finance Department and for coordinating all financial activities of the City of Hoschton as directed by the Mayor and Council and the City Administrator.
1. Administers daily operations of the Finance Department including supervision of personnel in processing cash receipts, accounts payable/receivable, bank reconciliation, financial reports, bank deposits, and posting of funds.
2. Assists City Administrator in preparation of the annual city capital and operating budgets and monitors expenditures by providing a monthly budget review to Mayor and Council.
3. Prepares comprehensive financial status reports and monthly financial statements for Mayor and Council and the City Administrator.
4. Reviews and reports on financial projects that affect the city directly or indirectly.
5. Provides financial input regarding major capital projects and/or purchases for the city.
6. Recommends investment strategy of surplus and reserve monies, acquiring bids on interest rates and collateralizations of city funds from qualified local banking institutions.
7. Assists external auditors by providing financial data for the completion of the annual audit.
8. Performs other related duties as assigned by the City Administrator.
SKILL LEVELS AND EXPERTISE:
1. Knowledge of the principles and practices of governmental finance, budgeting, and accounting.
2. Knowledge of the principles and practices of public administration and management.
3. Knowledge of the principles and techniques of purchasing, economic forecasting and recognizing economic trends.
4. Knowledge of relevant federal and state laws, city ordinances, policies, and procedures.
5. Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
6. Ability to maintain confidential information.
The City Administrator assigns work in terms of goals and objectives. The employee is responsible for organizing the work of the department so overall city goals are attained. Work is reviewed only in consultation with the City Administrator and through regular reports to the City Administrator, Mayor and Council
Guidelines are relevant federal and state laws, grant requirements, city ordinances, policies and procedures, and accepted accounting principles for government organizations. Interpretation is necessary in the application of these guidelines.
This position consists of a variety of main functional areas including administration, accounting, economic forecasting, budget preparation, and possible supervision. Tasks within each of these areas are somewhat related. Complexity is added by the presence of time constraints, the variety of tasks, and the number of guidelines.
SCOPE AND EFFECT:
Successful performance in this position insures effective handling of all city financial transactions, budget development, and profitable investment of financial resources. Errors could result in loss of funds and credibility for the city and could cause legal liability.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Work is performed in an office with employee sitting at a desk with intermittent standing and walking. Employee must occasionally lift light objects.
1. High School Diploma or GED
2. Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, post graduate courses in Governmental accounting, budget and audit prep, and Uniform Chart of Accounts
3. A minimum of 4-5 years of experience working in local government (City or County)
4. An equivalent combination of training and experience that would collectively provide the required knowledge and ability to perform the job may be considered
5. Must be willing to retrain as the job requirements change due to state or federal mandates
$40K – $50K dependent upon qualifications and experience
The City of Hoschton, Georgia is an EQ/AA/ADA Employer and is committed to complying fully with the Americans with Disabilities Act and to ensure equal opportunity for all qualified persons with disabilities.
SEND RESUMES AND INQUIRES TO:
City of Hoschton
79 City Square
Hoschton, Georgia 30548
Attn: City Administrator